Uncomfortable Words. An unusual title indeed. But in my never ending quest for truth, I thought it necessary to investigate various words that make us (men) uncomfortable. Words that make us cringe when we hear them or use them. Better yet, words that when put to practice, challenge us to our very core.
Here we go-
- The concept of intimacy is completely contradictory to the “Macho Man” persona perpetuated by our culture. In fact, the only intimacy that is even mentioned in our culture is sexual intimacy. But relational and physical intimacy at any other level are rarely (if ever) discussed by men.
- Truth- God wishes to have an intimate relationship with us.
- John describes himself as the “Disciple whom Jesus loved”.
- Described as a man after “God’s own heart”.
- Gentle (Gentleness)
- According to society- Gentleness = Weakness
- Truth- Gentleness is a component of the Fruit of the Spirit.
- Personal Note- I think of Gentleness as power under control. Think Gentle Giant. Think of a father holding a child. Think of a Lion carrying its cubs. But we have to think of this on a deeper level. Think deeper than physical power. Think about our words. Consider the power a father holds over his children. He has the power to build up or tear down his children with just his words.
- “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” Proverbs 12:18
- Just think, the Creator of the universe and everything in it, could still place His hands on children in a gentle manner.
- “Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.” -Matthew 19:13-15
- Humble (Humility)
- Lets face it men, humility is not our default setting.
- Being humble goes against
- Our sin nature
- What society promotes
- Truth- Humility is a Godly trait and is absolutely necessary for a growing relationship with God (or anyone else for that matter).
- He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble. – Proverbs 3:34
- Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. – James 4:10
- Submission is a word that is often directed at women in a negative way. Critics of Christianity use this as their basis for saying the Bible is a male dominated religion that denigrates women.
- Truth- Submission is for both men and women.
- Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. -Ephesians 5:21
This list is not exhaustive, but it is a good start. We must seek truth and view everything through the lens of Scripture.
That is all I have for now.